Five Stages of ChangeDr. James Prochaska, a psychologist at the University of Rhode Island, developed a widely influential model of the "stages of change."
1. Precontemplation - ("Never") : As far as I'm concerned, I don't have any problems that need changing.
2. Contemplation - ("Someday") : I've been thinking that I wanted to change something about myself.
3. Preparation - ("Soon") : I have decided to make changes in the next two weeks.
4. Action - ("Now") : Anyone can talk about changing. I'm actually doing something about it.
5. Maintenance - ("Forever") : I may need a boost right now to help me maintain the changes I've already made.